Theories on life...

This blog is intended as a place for me to share my thoughts, ideas and theories. And to have them challenged. I want to be able to explore who I am, my relationship with God and my place in the world. And I want to question everything! (Including my overuse of the word 'I'!) Blog you later...

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Deeper Water

I've been listening to Paul Kelly's Greatest Hits, Songs From The South, great album, check it out!

Today I was struck by some of the lyrics in the song Deeper Water, the song opens with a young boy at the water's edge. The boy's father takes his hand and guides him deeper into the water. The boy feels safe, the boy feels brave.

I wonder if it's a bit like this for us. I've made a few decisions recently about the direction my future is going to take, and it's scary wondering about what the future holds. The 'deeper water' of my future, however, is a managable concept when I let myself trust in God's plan. It's a tricky thing though, letting myself be guided, and not being able to control where I might end up.

I think that this image of a child trusting his parent is poigant, as it brings into mind the idea of 'child-like' faith. Of a great trust that is more and more difficult to establish, the older, and more cynical we get.

Jesus says that we should be like children, but perhaps that's not such an easy thing to do!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post al. i'm gonna print it off and add it to my english notes on Paul Kelly :)

Interesting with the idea of child like faith - i was thinking about it last night in relation to the baptisms we've been discussing lately. If we are to believe like children, it leads me to conclude that we don't have to necessarily understand all the finer points of theology about following Jesus in order to do it, or to get baptised. I mean, i was thinking about John the B. baptising people: he would've given a basic message for the people, but the bottom line was 'repent and believe and be saved'. they didn't have to understand everything first, the main point was in their willingness to have faith, and in their seeking of God. And so, if someone wants to follow God, should we stop them until they 'understand' to a certain point?
Not doubting your decisions at all, cos i highly respect your decisions, but just some thoughts that have been stimulted after our convo last night re ppl getting baptised which i have been wrestling with. no real answers, just more questions but if you wanna discuss further, feel free to email or call :) (hope you get what i'm on about!)
love ya.

12:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey al, thanks for your msg! No worries, like i said, i trust ya completely, and really appreciate the time you've put into the aforementioned stuff! cya fri :)

9:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home