Theories on life...

This blog is intended as a place for me to share my thoughts, ideas and theories. And to have them challenged. I want to be able to explore who I am, my relationship with God and my place in the world. And I want to question everything! (Including my overuse of the word 'I'!) Blog you later...

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

It's all about love...

I reread 1 Corithians 13 today as I have been struggling, yet again, with the notion of love. I had the thought that perhaps being a disciple of Jesus is, rather than being all about love, about the idea of 'being' love.

We've all heard the phrase, 'Jesus is love'. As disciples we are called to follow Him, and do what He would have us do. 1 Corithians 13 talks about love as being, and not being, certain things. In a way, this chapter is describing Jesus. As a Christian then, perhaps my aim should be to live this kind of love, to 'be' this kind of love. An interesting, and challenging thought. I know that I have never, despite trying, loved anyone or anything, or 'been' love, in the way that this chapter challenges me to.

This personification of love, I think, is also significant. 1 Corinthians 13 seems to be describing love as if love were a person. As I mentioned earlier, this could be a reference to Jesus, but I think that it is also a suggestion that this concept of love is something that we are, not something that we do. Otherwise the wording might be, Someone who loves is not angry. Rather than Love is not angry.

In this chapter, we are also presented with the idea that without love we are nothing. And I can see the truth in this idea. I think that it is particularly true in relation to loving others. What is the point, if it isn't love?

I will have to think more upon this idea of 'being' love!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home