Theories on life...

This blog is intended as a place for me to share my thoughts, ideas and theories. And to have them challenged. I want to be able to explore who I am, my relationship with God and my place in the world. And I want to question everything! (Including my overuse of the word 'I'!) Blog you later...

Sunday, August 27, 2006

What can I do?

Today I was sitting in a cafe, when a man came in, looking a bit worse for wear. He was inebriated, and had a can still in his hand. He was looking for work.

When I say he came in, he really only hovered in the entrance. He was told that there were no vacant positions. He stayed there for a minute or so before walking off. While I was sitting there, I also noticed him walking up and down the street.

My heart went out to this person, but I felt like there was very little I could do to help him. I couldn't approach him, being of a vulnerable demographic, and not being able to discern a safe mental state in him.

I hate the fact that being female can prevent me from helping people. It's very frustrating.

If I had approached him, the most I could have done, would have been to give him money. Which, arguably, may not have helped him anyway. My guess would be that he needs friendship, something which I am not in the position to give.

After he had wandered off, I was struck by the thought that I had just watched Him, Jesus, stumble off, and I had done nothing to assist Him.

A scary thought. I wonder how often I have let that happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home